This post features an list of events or recommendations for the May half term on activities and events for families.
We also have one for babies and toddlers over May half term too.. Baby B Edition: what’s on for Babies and Toddlers over Half Term.
If we have been gifted or paid for advertising an event, it will state (AD) beforehand. However, this is just places we have visited and recommend ourselves.
We try to update our post as regular as possible but please bare in mind – Events may change details, cancel or be sold out during this time.
To add to our guides, email us details over to firstname.lastname@example.org
- FREE sensory room at Nunsmoor Centre Trust.
- Softplay Sessions at Galafield Centre – cheap and affordable; cost us under £15 to eat and play – 2 adults and 2 kids.
- Ashington Soft-play area at Active Northumberland – with 7 other sites with softplay areas such as Blyth, Ashington, Ponteland, Prudhoe, Willowburn, Concordia, Berwick and Morpeth – Active Northumberland for more information.
- Tynemouth Aquarium
- Family Friendly pub: The Wheatsheaf Farm – under 5’s indoor play area and also outdoor play-area.
- Fun-shack Newcastle.
- Better Trampoline Park & Soft-play, West Road
- Family Friendly Pub: The Hogs Head Inn with Outdoor park.
Go swimming at 1 out of 9 – Active Northumberland’s sites.. Book here.
- Prudhoe Waterworld – shallow end, beach walk in.
- Wentworth Leisure Centre – small pool and spa pools.
- Ponteland Leisure Centre – small pool with aqua play.
- Concordia Leisure Centre – baby area with poolside features.
- Blyth Leisure Centre – small pool
- Ashington Leisure Centre – small pool
- Morpeth Sports & Leisure Centre – small pool
- Willowburn Leisure Centre – small pool
- Berwick Sports & Leisure Centre – small pool & splash zone.
- Why not take part in Clip ‘n Climb at Concordia Leisure Centre, Cramlington or Ponteland Leisure Centre. Book now
- Carnival House & Kitchen have a range of half term events on from mask making, drumming workshop, crafts and a disco. More information here.
- Free entry to the Raby castle for children and two new trails for families to enjoy. T&C apply, check out information on the website. https://www.raby.co.uk/whats-on/
- Head to the Eldon Square Customer Service Desk located outside of Fenwick and Boots for Shaun the Sheep Trail maps and start the search for over 50 individual sculptures around the city for ten weeks. Read information here.
- Action-packed adventure days at Whickham Thorns Outdoor Activity Centre. Young people will get the chance to take part in many activities throughout the day, including a mix of the following activities, Climbing, Laser Tag, Snow Tubing, Problem solving-orienteering, Bushcraft, Crate Stacking, Archery, High ropes – vertical Challenge, Assault Course, Kick Golf for £25. Book now
- Gala Durham, have screenings of The Little Mermaid over half term with films costing £5 (or £20 for a family or group of five).
- Outdoor Games and Activities, Daily, 11am – 4pm at Ushaw. The games carts have been bolstered with Table Tennis, Football goals, Hula Hooping, Badminton, Space Hoppers and more. No pre-booking required, included with Ushaw Annual Pass and Daily Admission.
- Colouring in the Café, Daily, 11am – 3pm, Ushaw will be providing nature-themed templates and coloured pencils in Welby’s Café throughout Half Term. No pre-booking required, included with Ushaw Annual Pass and Daily Admission.
- Kid’s Castle Adventure Tours with the Castle Keep: Book here
- Take part in free artist-led workshops perfect for families with children aged 5-12 on Sundays 2-4pm at The Baltic.
- Cereal Disco & Doodle at The Baltic. breakfast, a boogie, and a doodle in Front Room available every morning Wednesday – Sunday for the Half Term (26th May – 4th June). FREE Drop In Session.
- screenings of The Super Mario Bros. Movie from Friday 26th May to Thursday 1st June. Screenings on a Tuesday are only £4 too which is a great way to save money for families at Empire Consett.
- Free daily drop-in family craft activity at Berwick Museum and Art Gallery , Hexham Old Gaol & Moot Hall and Woodhorn which they will be open every day from 10am – 4pm during the Northumberland half term holidays, which fall Saturday 27th May to 4th June. These activities are all included with normal admission, children visit for FREE.
- Shipbuilder Trail at Discovery Museum from the 27th May to 4th June -50p to take part, head to museum shop at entrance. (Discovery Museum closes on Bank Holidays so will be closed on Monday 29 May).
- Make an Impression on 27th May & 3rd June, 11am – 2pm. Become an imprimeur and take your the chance to see a variety of printmaking equipment, have a go yourself by creating your very own artwork that you can make and take home with you. No pre-booking required, included with Ushaw Annual Pass and Daily Admission.
- 27th-31st May; new dance theatre show at Theatre Hullabaloo, ‘When the birds sang’ suitable for age 4+. Book here.
- Toy Takeover on 28, 29, 30 31 May & 1, 2 & 4 June, 11am – 4pm. No pre-booking required, included with Ushaw Annual Pass and Daily Admission.
- May 29th: Aerial Kids Club is back for all the aerial PLUS a hula hooping circus session from Rosy Bloomers. Also includes healthy snacks too for £45. Book now. Suitable for ages 7-14
Free fun at Manor Walks this Half-Term..
29th May – 4th June: To celebrate the release of The Little Mermaid and Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, There will be special appearances from our beloved characters.
29th May: Our Little Mermaid 12-2pm and Face Painter 11am – 3pm: Little Mermaid and Sebastian will join them to tell stories, sing mermaid songs, pose for photos and meet guests for lots of fun, smiles and interaction.
2nd June: Spidey and Face Painter 11am – 3pm. 12-2pm: Join superhero for a meet and greet and pose for some pics with Spidey, as he creepy crawls his way through the mall. With a special guest appearance from his green friend.
Colour Zone – 29th May – 4th June, 11am – 3pm: Mermaid and Spidey themed.
Autism Friendly Session, Sunday 4th June, 10am – 11am in Centre Mall.
All events are no tickets or booking required for Manor Walks.
- 30th May & 2nd June: Spring walks and crafts with Ushaw. Book here.
- 30th May: Discovery Days: Shipshape at Discovery Museum, Crafts inspired by ships and boats for school age children. Must pre-book
- Tractor and Digger Day taking place on Tuesday May 30th. A totally free event in Darlington town centre sponsored by Lloyds. A range of tractors and construction equipment will on display! This is totally free for families to come and enjoy between 11am and 3pm.
- Spring Walk & Crafts at Ushaw on 30th May & 2nd June, 10:30am – 12pm. £6 – £8, pre-booking required, book here
- 31st May: Discover a Story; The Boy Who sailed the World at Discovery Museum. Story and crafts for pre-school children – must pre-book.
- Castle Crafts are running on the 31st of May 10.30am -4pm at the Old Library in Auckland Castle. This is a drop in session and free with an Auckland Castle family ticket or family annual pass.
- 31st May: Darlington Hippodrome have a special half term panto staring Kerry Katona and Joanna Clifton; Rapunzel. Book now
- Movie Mornings at Ushaw on 31st May & 1st June, 11am. Free, pre booking required, book here
- Play in a day – Dare to dream of dragons at Theatre Hullabaloo. This is a fun-filled one-day activity taking place on Thursday 1st June and it will run from 10am-3pm. More information here.
- Family Days on 1st & 2nd June until 4pm at Point Blank Shooting Range. Pre-book here.
- 2nd June: I Spy With My Little Eye – The Party at Empire Consett.
- Friday 2 June: Hartbeeps – Toddler Disco at Discovery Museum, £6 per toddler. Accompanying adults and babies go free.
- Join Jo Ebberley from Imagine Me! as goes on a journey into a fairy tale story. Sing-along, play games and have lots of fun at Theatre Hullabaloo on the 2nd June. Book here.
Leave a Reply